Saturday, August 29, 2009

R.I.P.

We’ve lost some legendary and famous people this week including Ted Kennedy and DJ AM. The tenants of Admiral Manor also suffered a tough loss this week…the pool.

A few weeks ago my husband came home from paying rent to tell me the pool (which had been locked up for over a month), was closed due to a leak that they couldn’t afford to fix. I was understandably upset since I was not only losing a place to catch Washington’s limited rays, but I was losing inspiration for this blog.

This week proved to be the final hurrah for the once great pool. Tuesday morning I was rocked, quite literally, by the sound and vibrations of a jackhammer. I looked out the window expecting to see a construction crew working on the side street, but was instead greeted by our building’s handyman using a jackhammer on the pool.

After further investigation I discovered not only the handyman plowing away at the concrete, but my neighbor, Mr. P, bailing the remaining water out of the pool with a small bucket better suited for a sandbox. Intrigued, I went to check the mail so I could get a better look at the situation. That is when I noticed Doc Holiday sitting in a lawn chair, smoking, and pealing off the privacy plastic that covered the fence surrounding the pool. Come to find out the management was giving residents a discount on rent if they helped with the pool demolition.

The next morning I was relieved to get notification from management that a professional crew would be coming in on Monday morning to fill the pool with concrete. I didn’t want Meth-head Mama driving a concrete truck or Doc Holiday working a blow torch.

No comments:

Post a Comment