Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Softball First

I have played softball on and off for about 14 years (which makes me feel rather old), so I have seen just about everything. Tonight, though, I had a first.

First, I will give you a little background for those of you who aren’t military types. On military bases they raise the American Flag at sunrise and sunset, no surprise there (they call this “Colours”). And when they raise the flag they play music over the loud speakers (National Anthem at sunrise, tune called “sunset” at, well, sunset). The cool thing is that when Colours occurs, everything outside on the base stops. If you’re driving, you stop. If you’re walking, you stop and stand at attention. It is very cool to watch.

So tonight we had a softball game that went into extra innings. With two outs, I stroke a single up the middle (because I rock). Our next batter bloops a can of corn into right field. As I am running to second base the music starts and Colours begins. The umpire yells “stop where you are” and everyone freezes, turns toward the sunset and stands at attention (non-military just stand with our arms at our sides). Once the song was over, play continued, and I took the last few steps to second base.

A total first for me. Love it.

--Oh and we lost the game because boys are stupid and throw the ball around when they should just hold it and call time out.

No comments:

Post a Comment