Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Search

Everyone has that one food item they can’t live without. For my husband it is bacon, my sister loves her Cheetos, and for me it is ice cream. So I have been searching for organic ice cream, not even knowing if there is such a thing. I haven’t found anything actually marked “organic”, but I couldn’t take the lack of ice cream any longer and finally gave in and bought something. It is called Haagen-Dazs “Five”. I bought it because it only has 5 ingredients (milk, cream, sugar, eggs, and vanilla beans); compared to 20+ that are found in some of my old, low-fat favorites. I wasn’t sure what it would taste like and if it would be worth the calories and fat, but I figured a pint wouldn’t kill me.

Oh my sweet Jesus! I forgot how good real ice cream tastes. I am so used to low-fat, fat-free, ice milk bullshit that I didn’t realize that I had deadened my taste buds. I have a feeling that this lesson will resonate throughout my organic eating experiment.

But there is one problem. Actually, it is my problem. I have no self control when it comes to portion sizes. I cannot have a bite of something and then put it away. I have to eat all of it. When I was a kid my dad would buy a pound of M&Ms and divide it evenly among the family (didn’t every family do this?). I was always amazed that my sister would ration her candy and make it last for almost a week! My portion wouldn’t last an hour, let alone a week. So having a pint of delicious ice cream sitting all alone in the freezer, calling to me, is going to be a challenge. I guess we will see how long it lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment