Friday, September 25, 2009

Must Wear Socks

This morning I had to be up early to meet a client for a workout. I knew I was going to be up before my husband so I had laid out my clothes and bag the night before. I try not to be too “cutesy” when it comes to my training clothes but I was feeling frisky (as my husband would say). So I picked out black capris, a hot pink top, and matching black/hot pink tennis shoes that I had snagged on clearance at Payless. Since the shoes are primarily black I think they look better without socks, so opted to go foot commando for the morning.

As I walked to the car I was surprised at how chilly it was (thankfully I had grabbed a hoodie), but figured I would be in and out of the car pretty quick, so I would survive. It’s amazing how wrong I can be sometimes.

I was about a mile or two away from the apartment when I first noticed the signs of trouble. The “TRAC OFF” warning light quietly came on which got me thinking that a trip to the auto shop was going to be in order that day. It wasn’t until the car completely stopped working that I realized I was totally screwed.

My car came to a rest on the shoulder of the road, which wasn’t easy considering I had lost power steering along the way. After the initial shock wore off, I dug out my phone to call for help. A wife’s first call is usually to her husband, but my hubby was in bed and without a car so I knew he would be as helpful as my mother who lives 3000 miles away (and who is always my first call when I am in trouble). So I pulled out my insurance card, verified that I had roadside assistance, made a call, and began the 45 minute wait for a tow truck. Yes, that was a 45 freaking minute wait. So there I sat alone in a car with no heat…in the northwest…in October…before sunrise…with no socks. Needless to say, I was unhappy on so many levels.

An hour later when the tow truck rolled up, hypothermia had set in and taken three toes on each foot. The pain I felt was equaled only to the boredom on the tow truck drivers face once he climbed down from the truck’s cab and began hooking my car up to the tow. His enthusiasm for his career became even more evident when it came time for me to ride with him to the repair shop. Upon arrival in the cab I was greeted by two things: heat (thankfully) and ACDC. Both were on full blast.

The truck ride was a short one and before long I had dropped off the car and was walking the remaining blocks home. Once again I was reminded of my poor clothing choices and why I never go commando…even in my shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment